This winter, I'm all about dark lipsticks. I can't get enough of them since I'm not really a fan of using pinks and oranges during the colder seasons. The only problem is that sometimes the lipsticks that I try on are waaaay too dark for my complexion and aren't flattering at all. That's why I was so excited to get my hands on this thrifty lipstick called "Sangria" from Milani's Color Statement Collection.
I never really tried Milani's lipsticks, but when this new line came out earlier this year I was really curious to see how they reinvented their formula. I'm so glad I took the chance because this lippy is absolutely gorgeous. Sangria is the perfect name for this shade because it leaves your lips looking like you just took a few sips of a wine, not that that's a bad thing ;)
As far as texture goes, the lipstick is advertised as having a matte finish, but I'd say it's more of a creamy matte. My favorite thing about this lipstick is that it doesn't dry out your lips like other matte lipsticks, making it a great drugstore find. However, I highly recommend exfoliating before application by rubbing a toothbrush over your lips to get rid of any dead skin cells. If you apply it all willy nilly, it will leave any cracked skin on the lips looking darker and way more noticeable, so smooth lips are an absolute must when rocking this.
|Swatch of Milani's Sangria Lipstick after applying 1 layer.|
|Swatch on top is 3 layers, swatch on the bottom is 1.|
I also think that the packaging is really elegant. It comes in a gold tube with the signature Milani logo on the cap and it has a clear bottom that shows the shade, so finding it among other lippies a breeze. The lipstick itself also has a somewhat fruity scent to it, which I find to be very light, pleasant and not overpowering.
Also, I decided to make a tutorial for you guys on how to get the perfect application for this lipstick in 4 easy steps!
1) I should have added exfoliate and moisturize to the pictorial, but I forgot! Gently pass a toothbrush over the surface of lips in circular motions for 30 seconds. Wipe lips off with a towel. Apply your favorite lip balm to hydrate, I used Rosebud Salve Lip Balm.
2) To ensure a matte finish, apply a translucent powder all over lips using a small concealer brush. I used e.l.f. Translucent Matifying Powder.
3) Line lips the outside of the lips with a lip liner dark purple or pink. Then apply lip liner to the inside of lips. I used NYX Lip Liner Pencil in Purple Rain.
4) Coat a lip brush with the Sangria lipstick and apply it in strokes starting from the center of lips and work your way outward. I suggest applying at least 3 layers to get the most color, but you can build up the color to your desire.
5) Finish by applying concealer with a concealer brush to the perimeter of lips to clean up any product that has fallen outside of the lines.
You can find Sangria at most drugstores and you can find it online at Walmart for just $4.97.
So tell me, what are your favorite lippies of the season? Are you more of a deep red/burgundy girl or do you go for shades that have a berry/plum tone, like Sangria? Let me know in the comments!